Palanga is one of the oldest and arguably most popular resorts in Lithuania. A small and cozy city is located near the Baltic Sea near the Latvian border. Here live about 17.5 thousand people. A significant proportion of the population is working in the tourism sector. Palanga city with its suburbs and Sventoji settlement makes the Great Palanga.
During the summer season and weekends, the number of people in Palanga increases tenfold. Tourists come here to rest from all over Lithuania, neighborhood and more distant countries. They are attracted by beautiful white sand beaches, colorful and noisy central pedestrian J. Basanaviciaus street, the great landscape Botanical Park and Amber Museum. Visitors can improve their health in a number of health resorts. Resort environment - the marine climate, the fresh pine air - will help improve mood and get rid of the negatyve emotions.
Visitors who wish to become a little calmer environment may choose Holy - a small resort town located near Palanga. Holy is a lot of camping type recreational bases, where you can stay at an affordable price.
Palanga historical sources for the first time referred in year 1253. Then, Palanga was quite an important trading town. Pre-Christian religious cult palaeoastronomic devices found on Birute Hill, says about the importance of the local old white.
Later Palanga has become famous as a recreational village. In particular, contributed to this counts Tyszkiewicz. Educated and wealthy Earl Joseph Tyszkiewicz, seen at one time the famous resorts of Western Europe, decided to make Palanga, as well as modern and fashionable resort.
In year 1877-1880 Kurhauzas was built - the first resort hotel and restaurant in Palanga. As well as cottage complexes have been built and equipped washing places with warm water. In the surrounding forest parks walking trails were established.
In year 1884-1888 was built a wooden pier, which has become a favorite walking place for resort guests. It did not survive - injured during the hurricane, has been replaced by a more modern.
In year 1893 Feliks Tyszkiewicz built a palace and with the help of the French architect Andre installed a landscape park.
The resort has grown steadily, has opened new spa, hotels, restaurants and inns. Independence of Lithuania in Palanga has not lost its interest and charm.
In Soviet times, Palanga remained a resort town. It expanded a network of tourist establishments, built large sanatorium complexes, a new airport in Palanga.
When Lithuania regained its independence, a flow of tourists decreased, but the town is now recovering rapidly with even more beautiful environment and improved entertainment quality. A beautiful example of renewal in Palanga - reconstructed, J. Basanaviciaus street.
Places of interest
Palanga Botanical Park This landscape park is one of the prettiest, best preserved, and best maintained parks in Lithuania’s coastal region. In 1897 Count Feliksas Tiškevičius founded this park around the palace built in the same year. The park was designed by the famous French landscape architect and botanist Eduard Fransua André, (1840 – 1911), who spent three summers in Palanga with his son René Eduard André (1867 – 1942) supervising the park’s construction. The Belgian gardener Buyssen de Coulon assisted them.
The palace of Count Feliksas Tiškevičius (now Amber Museum). The palace was built in 1897 according to the project of a German architect Franz Schwechten. The estate palace in neo–renaissance style is an inseparable part of the park’s ensemble. A. Brusokas restored the palace in 1957. The family of Counts Tiškevičiai resided in the palace until 1941. Tel. +370 460 53 501
Birutė’s hill. This relict dune, as the highest dune at the seaside of Palanga, is mapped in the large maps since XVII c. The name of Birutė’s hill is linked with a romantic story of priestess Birutė, who married to the Grand Duke of Lithuania Kęstutis and gave birth to Vytautas, the most famous Lithuanian Grand Duke. In 1989 the archaeologists found the evidences of a pagan sanctuary and observatory, which had existed on the top of Birutė hill in XIV-XV c.In 1869 a chapel was built there according to the project of architect K. Majer. In 1976 stained-glass windows were arranged in this chapel (author L. Pocius). At the foot of the hill there is a sculpture “For you, Birute” (sculptress K. Tulienė, 1965).
The street of J. Basanavičius. Earlier this street had a name of street or boulevard of Tiškevičius. In the summer of 1923 Dr. J. Basanavičius was visiting Palanga. In the honour of the nation’s Patriarch, the inhabitants of Palanga named this boulevard J. Basanavičiaus Street. Holidaymakers promenade along this street willingly, because there are a lot of cafes and different attractions. This is the main street leading to the Pier.
Pajūrio (seaside) Regional Park. The Seaside Regional Park is governmentally protected territory of the Lithuanian seaside from Klaipėda city to Old Palanga. The Park takes up 5033 ha in overland and 30 km in the water area of the sea. The park was established in September 1992. There are nature reserve of Placis Lake, Olandų (Dutchman’s) cap and scarp, Nemirseta and Šaipiai landscapes, Karklė botanical, Kalotė botanical-zoological, Karklė telasological (sea) and ethno cultural reserves, recreational and agro territories. You can explore Seaside Regional Park on foot, by bikes or to take horses.
Church of Saint Marie. In 1897 - 1906 a catholic church in style neo gothic was build by project of Swedish architect K. Strandman. This 76 m. high building still in these days highest building in Palanga. Building of church came to 90 000 gold rubles, Count Tiskevicius made a donation of 30 000 of them. This is third Palanga church. Earlier it was situated in place of hotel Meguva. The acoustics of the church are perfect.
Žemaičių alkas. In XIV c. on the top of Birutė hill astronomical observations were carried out. The replica of this paleoastronomic observatory was constructed in the northern part of Šventoji settlement, not far from Health centre “Energetikas”, and was named as “Žemaičių alkas” (Samogitian sanctuary). The research was carried out by Palanga branch of Samogitians’ culture organisation. In June 1998, wooden poles carved by folk artists were put up on the dune. Each column corresponds to the names of mythological gods and goddesses of the Balts: Perkūnas (Thunder), Aušrinė (Morning star the Venus), Žemyna (Goddess of Earth Vitality), Austėja (Goddess of Bees), Ondenis (Water God), Patrimpas (God of plants and Spring), Patulas (Unger earth God), Velnias (God of Dead Souls), Leda (Mother of Gods) and heavenly bodies - Saulė (the Sun) and Mėnulis (the Moon). With the help of these poles, it is possible to fix the main calendar holidays of the Balts: Dew holiday, Stork’s Day, Shrove Thuesday, Christmas etc.